06 January 2013

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)


          Essential plot rundown:  A group of friends get massacred in Texas by a chainsaw.  Just finishing off my kick.  After watching 3 TCM movies in 3 days, I think I'm all wore out.

          This isn't a bad remakes.  Still not as effective as the original, but it works.  My number 1 thought going into this was how it was going to compare to Texas Chainsaw 3D.  And I can't decide which I like better.  This one isn't as scary (or bloody) as TC 3D, but I also didn't have as many complaints with it.

          I also think that this movie should have followed the "less-is-more" rule.  But not so much in the gore department, but with Leatherface.  We see him without his mask on; he is also shown sewing a new mask and other things out of skin.  I feel by seeing this stuff, it takes away from the mysteriousness of the character.

          And when Leatherface is first shown, it isn't nearly as scary as the original.  However, later, he gets a "proper" introduction that is pretty chilling.  If that happened to me in a haunted house, I would wet myself.  But, the worst thing about Leatherface is that he is completely overshadowed by the sheriff (played by R. Lee Ermey).  The sheriff steals the show from Leatherface; they could have easily written Leatherface out of the movie and just focus on Ermey's character.

          One thing that really bugged me with this and TC 3D is people seem to have a hard time grasping the concept of a chainsaw.  There are multiple times when people would close a wooden door and try to barricade it, hoping to keep Leatherface out.  But, he just uses his chainsaw to cut through the door.  But the one time when the door is not wood and could possibly hold up to a chainsaw, they don't even bother to try and close it; they leave it wide open.  And on the other hand, in all of these movies, Leatherface seems to not understand how doorknobs work; but I guess using a saw works just as good.

          Overall, it is a good movie.  It is not nearly as chilling or effective as the original, but it is worth checking out.  And as far as I can tell, the original TCM had the best Leatherface costume; none of the others look as good.


     But that's just my opinion...



No comments:

Post a Comment