26 August 2012

The Time Traveler's Wife (2009)


          Essential plot rundown:  A couple must struggle with the consequences of one of them being a time traveler.  (Spoiler: it's not the wife).  I remember thinking this looked interesting when it first came out.  But I saw District 9 instead.  And then I heard it was a chick flick, so I never got around seeing it til now.

          To put it bluntly, the concept/idea is a lot better than the film itself is.  It takes the normal struggles of marriage and compounds it with the fact that Bruce Banner randomly disappears for unknown amounts of time.  Which, in and of itself, is a really interesting idea.  But, that doesn't really translate on the big screen.  This movie is based on a book so that might hurt it.  It is a lot easier to portray certain things in 800 pages of a novel than it is 160 pages of script.

          There were a couple of times where there were montages of their relationship getting worse.  And that hurt the film I thought.  You just can't just montage over this part!  This is the point of the movie!  So, it was a little hard to connect with the main characters.  My thought throughout the whole movie was I can see how that would be stressful or hard.  But, it should have been Wow, that sucks.  I feel so bad for you.  I could see that they were struggling, but I never struggled with them.  And that was the main problem of the film: they never took me on their journey with them.

          So, overall it is a decent flick, worth checking out.  It has a strong premise, but the execution was as good as it should have been.  Though, now I am interested in reading the book.


     But that's just my opinion...



No comments:

Post a Comment