05 February 2012

New Year's Eve (2011)


          Essential plot rundown:  Actors hardup for work celebrate New Years.  This review is probably going to be fairly short.  Why? you ask.  Because it was an ok, average movie.  There wasn't anything awesome to talk about; nor was there anything stupid to rant about (as in my previous blog).

          Let's start with the characters.  They were all likable.  However, none of them got enough screen time to be developed.  Therefore, I cared for none of them.  Ashton Kutcher gets stuck in an elevator?  That's unfortunate.  Little girl can't go to Times Square?  Good.  Robert De Niro is dying?  Why is he in this movie?  I didn't get attached to any of these characters.  As a matter of fact, it would be so long in between each character's appearance, that I actually forgot they were in the movie.  It would cut back to the married couple literally after 15 minutes.  Oh yea, they are in this thing too.

          In addition to minimal screen time, I didn't like any of the situations they were in.  None of the individual plot lines were interesting.  Except for, however, the one between Zac Efron and Michelle Pfeiffer.  Pfeiffer plays a meek office worker who regrets not accomplishing last year's resolutions.  She then offers Efron tickets to some fancy party if he helps her do them before midnight.  I found that idea intriguing:  doing a year's worth of resolutions on the last day.  Needless to say, there was a lot of improvising.  I thought this individual storyline had enough potential to be it's own movie.  (Maybe they have already made it.  I don't know.)  All the others were bland.

          So overall, it's not a bad movie.  I wouldn't rush out to see it.  However, if you do see it, it's not a waste of time.  It had a couple good laughs.




     But that's just my opinion...



No comments:

Post a Comment